Coal and Wine Tax posts - All
|Contents Post List|
|Post 11, TQ 445 984|
At the point where Debden Lane, Loughton becomes Loughton Lane, Theydon Bois.
Opposite an house called "The Boundary".
The retro-reflective sign in the right hand picture says Theydon Bois
|Post 12, TQ 432 994|
South side of Coppice Row, Epping
N of Jacks Hill, 500 yards E of the "Wake Arms"
Bench mark on the top
|Post 13, TL 437 004|
Epping Road, Epping
about 500 metres SW of the Bell Common Tunnel
|Obelisk 20, TL 372 050|
Wormley. Beside the Lea Navigation near King's Weir Bridge. Bench Mark.
In the first picture the Navigation is between the stone and the pole visible in the background.
|Post 37, TL 182 037|
High Street, London Colney
Just north west of the bridge over the River Colne
The entry at Historic England has a photo dated 2001 which shows distinct evidence of a plate over the “24 Vict” having been removed.
|Post 38, TL 175 032|
Shenley Lane, London Colney
South side of Broad Colney Bridge
|Post 39, TL 173 023|
Harper Lane, Shenley
Outside No. 108 The Lodge and near Harperbury Hospital
|Post 40, TL 174 025|
Harper Lane, Shenley
Outside No. 67
|Harper Lane, Shenley|
Midway between these two Tax Posts. Just a post to announce that this is No. 100 but nice echoes of Tax Posts.
Cab drivers on night shift wish that all houses showed their numbers as clearly as this.
|Post 43, TL 160 007|
Watling Street, Radlett
East side of road, opposite Kitswell Way, south of the culvert for a stream and half a mile north of the station
|Post 44, TL 162 000|
Watling Street, Radlett
West side of road, 100 yards north of Park Road, beside Radlett United Synagogue
|Post 58, TQ 059 922|
Rickmansworth Road, Harefield at the point where it becomes Harefield Road, Rickmansworth.
Just on to the Hertfordshire side of the county boundary - a 'Welcome to Hillingdon' sign can be seen on the right of this photo.
More pictures of this post in daylight and showing before- and after-restoration states
|Post 81?, TQ 026 720|
N side of Wraysbury Road, Staines and E side of the County Ditch about 40 yards E of Lammas Drive
As the name County Ditch suggests this is the boundary and we might expect there to have been a Post here originally. On the Victorian maps site we have a choice of three versions: Berkshire, Middlesex and Surrey. But none of them shows a post.
This may be the post that was originally at TQ 022 749, in field fence E of Moor Farm, Horton - now under the water of the Wraysbury Wreservoir.
|Obelisk 82, TQ 026 720|
S side of Wraysbury Road, Staines and W side of the County Ditch about 30 yards E of Lammas Drive
In the picture below left Post 81? can be seen in the background on the left.
Original location was
TQ 018 738
|Stone 83, TQ 028 718|
In Lammas Pleasure Ground, Staines beside the river.
The London Stone - the great … great grandparent of the posts
This is a replica (see below).
A board near the stone tells us:
Until 1350, management of rivers was in the hands of the monarch but in 1197 Richard I sold the rights and revenues of the lower Thames to the Corporation of the City of London. He did this to pay off debts incurred while fighting the Third Crusade.
At this time, Staines was the first town upstream from London with a bridge and stood at the tidal limit of the river so it was an obvious place to mark the Corporation's control. The stone stood beside the river near the old town bridge from 1285 until moved here two or three hundred years ago.
More recently the stone was removed for restoration and protection to the Old Town Hall Art Centre, Market Square, Staines and a replica put in its place.
The current Town
Bridge, Staines was erected after the stone had been moved to the
There is also a London Stone in Cannon Street. But that one is even older and quite different.
|TQ 034 715|
The Old Town Hall, Market Square, Staines
|Bridge 73, SU 399 672|
Shepherds Bridge, midway between Dreweat's Bridge and Kintbury Bridge
(Kennet and Avon Canal)
|Post 94, TQ 095 664|
Bridge Street, Walton on Thames
Approach to Walton Bridge
109, TQ 141 622
Copsem Lane, Oxshott
Corner of The Rythe private road, south of Esher Common Roundabout
110, TQ 140 618
Copsem Lane, Oxshott
junction with Sandy Lane and Warren Lane
|Post 115, TQ 166 600|
W side of Kingston Road, Leatherhead at the point where it becomes Leatherhead Road, Malden Rushett outside "The Star"
|Post 118, TQ 183 612|
Christ Church Road (thus on maps but Christchurch Road on road name signs), Epsom. North side of road in Stew Pond Valley about 200 yards east of Post 119.
Half buried and becoming rusty.
||Post 119, TQ 182 612|
At the point where Christ Church Road, Epsom becomes Rushett Lane, Malden Rushett.
South side of road outside Glanmire Farm.
|Post 122, TQ 194 594|
North side of Dorking Road,Epsom
at the point where it becomes Epsom Road, Ashtead
|Post 125, TQ 201 574 Headley Road, Epsom|
junction with Langley Vale Road and Downs Road
|Post 128, TQ 219 577|
20 yards east of Walton Road (bridleway) on Epsom Downs
in clearing, 150 yards north of junction with Old London Road (bridleway)
In need of re-painting
129, TQ 221 578|
West side of Old London Road, Epsom Downs
by its southern crossing of Race Course.
The inscription faces into a thorn bush but it has still been carefully repainted.
From this post the next three posts on the list are all visible:
| 130, TQ 223 581
East side of Old London Road by the 5
furlong post of
Epsom Downs Racecourse.|
Post 131 can be seen in the background of the left photo.
The stumps of the bolts which held the correction plate in place have each
received a dab of black paint as though they were part of the inscription.
(Furlong and florin are two words which sadly are dropping out of the language. Both are still valid and both were part of attempts to decimalise the Imperial system of measures. 1 furlong = 10 chains = 1000 links. Also, the furlong is conveniently close to 200 metres - 201.168 metres to be precise.)
|Post 133, TQ 226 578|
Epsom Lane North, Tadworth
outside No. 100
The view from near Post 152
|Post 155, TQ 243 552|
East side of Brighton Road, Kingswood
100 yards south of Birch Grove
|Post 159, TQ 272 579|
Outwood Lane, Chipstead
Opposite Stagbury House
|Post 160, TQ 275 578|
Hazelwood Lane, Chipstead
At the junction with Bridgeway and Stagbury Close
Post 161, TQ 279 578
W side of How Lane, Chipstead
opposite Yew Tree Close
Almost buried in the undergrowth.
The squiggles in the photo are spots of daylight plus camera shake.
|Post 162, TQ 286 580|
At the junction of Coulsdon Lane, Hollymeoak Road, Portnalls Road, Rickman Hill Road and Hollymead Road, Chipstead
Try this image as a jigsaw
|Post 163, TQ 291 576|
Brighton Road, Hooley
East side of road about 150 yards north of the present boundary between Croydon and Reigate & Banstead.
Very dirty because this is a very busy road and very difficult to spot when the trees are in leaf.
|Brighton Road, Hooley. Modern boundary signs
situated between the two Tax Posts in the Brighton Road.|
The middle one is almost as cryptic as a Tax Post: HA = Highways Agency TfL = Transport for London
||Post 164, TQ 289 568|
Brighton Road, Hooley
Corner of Netherne Drive, beside Star Bridge.
|Post 166, TQ 304 568|
Ditches Lane, Coulsdon
near Devilsden Wood
This post is a bit accident prone.
Images produced from the www.old-maps.co.uk service with permission of Landmark Information Group Ltd. and Ordnance Survey where www.old-maps.co.uk is hyperlinked to http://www.old-maps.co.uk, Landmark Information Group Ltd. is hyperlinked to http://www.landmark-information.co.uk and Ordnance Survey is hyperlinked to http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk
TQ 318 563
TQ 318 565
TQ 320 566
One post just off the end of The Grove, Coulsdon Common and two posts in The Grove.
Marked M1 on the map.
Click on the map for a larger version.
Note The Fox and the Tally Ho pubs; both still there.
On the larger version, near bottom right note the intriguing Money Pit still remembered in the name of Money Road.
|Post 167, TQ 322 568|
Coulsdon Road, Coulsdon Common opposite The Grove.
On the present boundary between Croydon and Tandridge
|Post 168, TQ 325 570|
Coulsdon / Caterham, on SW side of road 90 yards NW of the junction of Ninehams Road and Milton Road. (Carefully worded -see below.)
On the present boundary between Croydon and Tandridge. (Note the join in the road surface between the two authorities.)
|The 4 of 24 and the C of CAP are both completely flat.|
Also the 2 of CAP 42 is so flat that it has been painted wrongly.
|In the pictures of both the above posts, signs can be seen in the background. These bear the same shield as the posts and carry this story:||
|TQ 328 570|
Corner of Ninehams Road and Merlewood Close, Caterham
Outside the Corporation of London's Estate Office for the commons mentioned above.
This is not a Tax Post and is quite recent. But it carries on the cast iron Corporation of London tradition. It is just a post to keep your vehicle off the kerb or grass - and of an height designed to ensure that you will not see it just before you reverse into it.
|Missing Post! TQ 330 573|
East side of Buxton Lane, Caterham at the point where it becomes Hayes Lane, Kenley.
Marked M2 on the map above and on the larger version.
This post is leaning and bears the inscription 'Croydon Rural District 1895 Coulsdon'.
An identical post to this one stands beside City Post 162 in Chipstead and as we can see on the map there ought to be a City Post standing here but it has long since vanished.
The name Buxton Lane had struck me as odd because it is clearly an old road from long before the habit of naming roads after holiday destinations. The larger map gives us an answer by calling it Buxton's Lane - it is named after a person. But a developer has picked up on the geographic idea and built Matlock Road off it.
|A different view of Old Coulsdon|
|Post 169, TQ 338 583|
Whyteleafe Hill, Whyteleafe
50 yards east of the junction with Hornchurch Hill
This view from Church Road is about the best you can legally get.
|Obelisk 170, TQ 340 581|
Behind No 376 Godstone Road, Whyteleafe
Sit on the right hand side of the train from Caterham to East Croydon and hope that it will not go too fast between Whyteleafe South and Whyteleafe.
Or find the allotments in Church Road, 300 yards S of Whyteleafe Hill, walk through them towards the railway and look to your right.
|Post 171, TQ 341 580|
W side of Godstone Road, Whyteleafe
300 yards north of Salmons Lane, outside No. 376
The original inscription has been carved out to a depth of about 5 mm. As a result of this and/or subsequent rust, there is a hole right through to the inside.
|I have a private theory that the curious defacement of the inscription on this post was a political protest contemporary with the erection of the post. Caterham lay and still lies outside the Metropolitan Police District but the only practical way to bring coal into Caterham in 1861 was by the railway via Caterham Junction station. Since this lay firmly within the Metropolitan Police District, presumably the tax was payable.|
|Post 172, TQ 344 577|
Well Farm Road, Whytelefe
100 yards from Godstone Road
At both of these locations there may be a post hiding among all that lush vegetation but I have looked very hard and could not see either of them
|Post 173, TQ 353 570|
Stuart Road, Whytelefe
100 yards from Woldingham Road
Viewed from Post 174
|Post 174, TQ 354 570|
Woldingham Road, Whytelefe
junction of Stuart Road
Makers mark on front and rear of the base
|Post 175, TQ 358 577|
Bug Hill, Woldingham outside "Halliloo House"
|Post 176, TQ 364 582|
Limpsfield Road, Warlingham outside Sainsbury's supermarket.
A plaque in front of the post has been removed by vandals
but thanks to Alan C Edwards we can deduce what it said:
|The post in its original position|
|Bourne Society Bulletin No. 7, August 1957|
IRON BOUNDARY POSTS
The item in Bulletin No. 6 on this subject produced a good deal of information from a number of members. One or two queries are now being investigated and it is hoped to publish a supplement to the next issue of the Bulletin giving a complete list of the posts, or the sites of posts, which are situated within our area.
One thing that should be put right immediately is the statement made in the last issue as to the total number of posts erected around London. The figure quoted was l,700, which was taken in good faith from a newspaper cutting on the subject, but many members have written in to say that 200-250 is much nearer the mark, and their information is supported by contemporary evidence.
|Whoever captioned the above picture clearly had not read this or they would not have repeated the figure of 1700.|
|Post 179, TQ 365 597|
East side of Old Farleigh Road, Farleigh just north of "The Harrow"
|Post 180, TQ 368 596|
North end of Daniels Lane, Farleigh at edge of Little Park Wood
|Post 181, TQ 382 602|
On the edge of Little Farleigh Green on footpath to Fickleshole. About 200 yards NW of the point where Farleigh Court Road becomes Scotshall Lane.
Lorna van Zee's
image at GeoGraph. Note the discussion.
|The sign says "Welcome to Bromley"|
A better picture of this post
Post 183, TQ 395 613
King Henry's Drive, New Addington
200 yards north west of the junction of Skid Hill Lane and Layhams Road, etc.
Post 184, TQ 396 610
Skid Hill Lane, New Addington
100 yards south of the junction of King Henry's Drive and Sheepbarn Lane, etc.
|Post 185, TQ 398 611|
Sheepbarn Lane, New Addington
150 yards east of the junction of Skid Hill Lane and Layhams Road, etc.
|Post 186, TQ 415 617|
On Leaves Green
The village sign in the first picture can be seen in the background of the third picture.
This post before the paint job (see below).
|Post 187, TQ 424 612|
Green Hill, Downe
Near one of the greens of West Kent Golf Club.
This post is leaning
"Councillor George Taylor, holder of Bromley Council's Environment Portfolio, rolled up his sleeves to put the finishing touches to the club's freshly repainted Coal Tax Post"
from Rabbit, The Planning Division Newsletter of the London Borough of Bromley, November 2002
|Post 191, TQ 456 632|
Corner of Cudham Lane North and Old Hill,
Green Street Green
The black and white picture is from Rabbit, The Planning Division Newsletter of the London Borough of Bromley, November 2002 and the rabbit must be called Flopsy because they have flopped the picture (and also omitted 'post' from the caption).
|Post 192, TQ 456 633|
Near the roundabout, Green Street Green.
Between Farnborough Way and High Street. Near the Royal Oak and opposite the Rose and Crown
|Post 193, TQ 456 635|
West side of High Street, Green Street Green.
Opposite Baptist Church
|Contents Post List|
© 2003–2016 Roger W. Haworth
Main php file date: 2020 Jun 25 12:15:06 app file date: 2020 Jun 29 13:48:00